Comment on page
How to get your data into OA.Report
To ingest your data, we'll work with you on a dataset-by-dataset basis to figure out how to get it ingested with the least work for you. Here, we'll provide answers to common questions we get during that process.
- 1.You identify a dataset you'd like in the tool (during setup, we'll provide some ideas).
- 2.Share the dataset with us, or, if you can't do that describe what's in it.
- 3.We'll review, and provide you with a plan for how to ingest it and keep it up to date.
- 4.We'll implement the plan.
All OA.Report's data is public and licensed CC0, and by default, that includes the data you send us. However, if your data is sensitive and can't be shared, let us know, and we'll talk you through the options available.
That's up to you.
If you've given us access to a dataset that is constantly updated, we'll normally update our copy every week. If your dataset is only periodically updated, normally we suggest sending it over monthly.
Yes. Normally, and normally we'll clean it before we use it.
All of them. We suggest you give us everything you can share, and we'll take whatever valuable information we can from it.
Don't format your data specifically for us. Send us whatever you already have, and we'll build a system to translate it into what we need.
We can ingest a broad set of formats, and we find the best option is whichever format is quick and easy for you to share. We'll take it from there.
For us, a Google Sheet is our preference for most datasets, followed by a CSV, or Microsoft Excel file. Providing a JSON API is also great.
When you're onboarded into using OA.Report we'll provide you a "users sheet". This sheet is a general-purpose "catch all" for data you may want to contribute to OA.Report. This data could include articles you've found, corrections you'd like to make, or small amounts of additional data you'd like to add (e.g a few Grant IDs). Sometimes, this sheet can be used to get an import of data done quickly while we implement a more specific process for the dataset.
Here's a few things to keep in mind:
- Your user's sheet will be provided over email, so keep track of that somehow.
- Add any data you'd like to the "input" tab. In the headers of that tab, we'll provide documentation on what you can enter.
- If you'd like to add something there isn't a column for, please let us know and we'll make one. This ensures we can configure OA.Report to ingest your data correctly and do something useful with it.
- You don't need to tell us when you've added data. We'll automatically get notified and ingest your data in about one workday.